In order to Create a Cozy Home, it all comes down to thinking of the small details. We sometimes think that going shopping for some antiques will make your home cozy, but the secret is on the personal details, and even more importantly, exaggerating a little.
The BEST ways to create a COZY HOME is to integrate objects that have personal meaning, I think of the space as one that I never want to leave. This first way is feeling a strong connection by adding a nostalgic touch. A cozy look also requires looking at lighting, layering textures, the specific function and adding vintage pieces that have meaning. Let’s examine each one!
Why Creating a Cozy Home Decor is so Important today?
In order to understand the reason to Create a Cozy Home, I must tell you a story; I created ‘Cocoon Raw’ because, as we all know, 2020 was the year of staying home. I had the need to rethink the space I lived in and create areas that made me feel nurtured and recalled memories with connections to family and friends that I did not get to see.
For a cozy touch, check out my Post ‘EASY DIY Fall Wall Art with Dry Flowers’. READ HERE!
Ideas to inspire your ultimate Cozy Space.
- What is the one thing that you want to feel connected to? (for me is nature)
- Your last vacation spot.
- Your country of origin.
- A place where you once lived.
- A spot you feel most connected too? A period in life that lives embedded in your memories.
- Plants that feel comforting and add drama.
- A specific smell.
- An Art piece that moved you.
- Books you can’t forget about.
- A hobby; tea collecting, crafting, reading, knitting, etc.
Have you seen my post on creating an ‘EASY DIY Fall Wall Art with Dry Flowers’. READ HERE!
Understand what the space you are designing is used for in order to Create a Cozy Aesthetic.
- Cooking alone
- Family Gathering Space
- A place to read or write, on your journal, with a cup of tea
- An inviting spot to just sit by the fire
- A space to prepare your cup of tea or coffee
Secrets that we implement when designing luxury hotels.
You don’t need words to create a feeling for a cozy home aesthetic. If this is something you love, please don’t let me stop you. Each of us have our style and you should follow what you love.
But hear me out, because when we design to define the function. a fancy way to say that we design to sell the visitor on an ‘Experience’. We don’t need words to accomplish this, we want to create a ‘Mood’, a “Memory’. We use words to provide way finding, pointing someone to where they are going. This makes for a transactional type of move, not an emotional one.
Think of this, the way to your husbands heart is through the stomach. Not because you placed a sign that says eat this wonderful dinner. The meal strikes a cord because you put emotion in the event, made it with love, therefore, he receives it with gratitude. You created a memorable experience!
To Create a Cozy Space, use your senses; touch, smell and taste.
- Touch is your fabrics, textures on your lighting or decorations.
- Smell is your candles, the essential oils or an area to practice Sage Smudging.
- Taste is about having a corner to enjoy the warm cup of tea or coffee. A place to gather and eat together, connect.
Sage brings a sense of calm.
Now that you understand the meaning of ‘Cozy”, let’s get started and Create your ultimate Cozy Home Aesthetic!
1. Use a variety of light sources to Create a Cozy Home
- Table Lamps, Floor Lamp or Wall Sconces. You can even look at adding plug in picture lights.
- Candles. This is critical to a space because the movement of a candle brings a nostalgic feel to any room or corner of a room. You can now find so many different battery operated wax candles .
- String lights, yes, no matter your age, you can make this work. But the trick is to make them blend with your art piece or gather them in a vase. Having them just hang becomes more trendy and not intentional.
2. Style by Layering to Create a Cozy Home Aesthetic
Introduce texture by bringing decorative pillows into your seating areas. The sofa can be styled in so many ways, but layering that plush throw creates so much softness.
Here are some other examples:
- If you are inspired by the desert, look for artisan type pillows or vases, patterns and textures; A houndstooth pattern, a splash of subtle color, a weaved texture.
- You are from the Midwest? play with contemporary beautifully crafted textile patterns that remind you of your roots.
3. New is not Always Better when you Create a Cozy Home Aesthetic
My living room side tables are Chinese vintage pots, that were my Grandma’s, and I simply added a glass top. I love the pattern on them and the fact that I can feel a connection with her when I see them.
4. Make the Decorative items you choose Usable
Aesthetic is not just the look, but also making the space usable, not just Decor. Each items needs to serve a purpose.
- Blanket to feel protected in your Cocoon.
- Special Lighting or Candles to bring warmth.
- Books/Albums to be accessible to enjoy a cozy moment.
- Lots of pillows to bring comfort.
- Plants or flowers to bring a natural connection with earth.
For tips and a checklist check out my post ‘How to Decorate Kitchen Countertops’, READ HERE!
For a super cozy decor idea, check out my ‘Create a Stunning Table Centerpiece’. READ HERE!
Create a Unique Wall Sculpture.
You want to make an arrangement with the most beautiful succulent? Check out my post ‘SUCCULENT GARDEN DIY | DESERT ROSE BEAUTY!’ READ HERE!
5. Vignettes are a Window to a Story to create a Cozy Home Aesthetic
I want to provide you with ideas for little areas of your home that can bring the ‘Cozy’ to the next level! Create little vignettes on areas of your home to bring some interest. A couple of examples are:
- TRANSFORMATIVE CORNER: A cutting board creates the framework for a vignette. It will create a unique corner on your island that feels like the gathering spot and you can decorate according to the seasons or holidays.
- LAYERING: On one side you can keep a vignette of your favorite plants on a vintage stool and the other a cluster of your cherished items.
- A COOKING PREPPING AREA: Create a corner that brings focus on the cooking ritual in your culture in the kitchen. Pestle and mortar and very important to ours and they become display areas for my air plants, when not in use.
- VINTAGE: Look for vintage cutting boards, this brings a lived in feeling that makes cooking a cozy experience.
Checklist to Achieve a Cozy Home
- FUNCTION: Is that table serving a function? Does my coffee table surface allows me to place food or my hot tea?
- MOOD: Is the lighting providing a mood and at the same time, does it have a setting I can read from? Where is that candle? Did you have varied sources of light?
- COMFORT: Are the things I know I am going to use readily available? Can I prop my feet up? Can I transform this space to be comfy.
- NOSTALGIC: Do you have something that makes you smile and makes you travel to a place and time?
- CONNECTION TO EARTH: Color, color, color. Can you say green? This is the one thing that will add that direct connection to nature, the coziest reference available.
Have you read my post ‘5 Easy Steps to Create a Cozy Home’. READ HERE!
You Did It!!! You now know ways to Create a Cozy Home
Connect and design a home that will be your own Cocoon. The home that will bring memories for decades to come. You don’t need a room for Yoga to feel comfort, you need your house to be your Center and feel Centered. I can’t wait to hear how you apply some of the above and see some of your transformations of your cozy home! Tag me on Instagram, I can’t wait to join your journey for a cozier life my Cocoons!
Your Cocoon Awaits you!
DON’T LEAVE YET!
Come visit for other great ways to add ‘Cozy’ to your home!
JOIN ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
You Tube Cocoon Raw