When I moved into my urban home, I had no desire to garden since I traveled so much for my job. We found a home with a small backyard that now has changed our lives.
Understanding the objectives of urban gardening at home has created the best small garden layout. The process of planning is suitable for beginner gardeners. Steps on how to start a garden begins with understanding what the cons of urban gardening are and therefore, what vegetables are good in the space.
The joy of exploring your needs from the garden and discovering the ultimate goal is life changing. Discover the rhythm of living in your own garden oasis, what the pros and cons are to foresee how the garden will do and create the coziest space in an urban setting that feeds your body and soul.
Links in this article are affiliate links and if you click on them, we will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you! Clicking and purchasing helps to support this blog and all of the home and garden posts we bring to you! Click here for full disclosure
HOW TO START AN URBAN GARDEN?
You are in luck!
I have a new youtube video that takes you through every single step of the process, easy to understand and at the end, you will have a great plan for next Spring.
- Define the space and purpose of what you have to work with.
- Think about the maintenance of the space you are about to create and how much you want to take on.
- How much sunlight do you get in the space?
- Sketch to understand the existing space (plumbing, electrical, drainage, existing trees and plants to remain, existing path and other conditions)
- Include the sense and how you want to feel; sound, smell and colors / textures.
- What do you want to grow in the space; flowers and food. Be specific.
- Sketch your garden beds, pathways, containers, seating and raised garden beds.. What is the space used like; writing, reading, meditating?
- It is all in the details; decorate the space.
- Include outdoor lighting.
- Take the time you need to develop the best plan for your productive, relaxing or charming garden space.
For more in depth on each of the steps, tour my garden and learn the exact step by step process for a cozy and productive urban garden. On the channel you will learn how to do urban gardening, watch the youtube video and subscribe for weekly uploads.
I go through a tour of a section of my garden and how I came up with every idea. The garden tour is to inspire you and show you how much you can grow, plus the potential to create your dream garden space. Creating an urban planning concept and drawing an easy sketch.
WHAT ARE THE CONS OF URBAN GARDENING?
There so many benefits to discover from planning your garden and homegrown vegetables. Some of the urban gardening examples are:
|Grow organic / healthy veggies.
|Limited area to grow.
|Reduces stress and provides physical activity
|It can be a lot of maintenance if you don’t understand your goal and plan correctly.
|Grow from seeds to save money
|Too many garden beds increases the cost of adding soil, compost and fertilizing.
|A cozy space can be beautiful.
|Must plan for weather conditions.
|You can plan for privacy and noise reduction.
|When adding a pond or water feature, understand the maintenance to prevent having to redo it later. You must know the trees you are planting that they do not grow too large for the space. The tree roots can harm your home foundation or, the tree can provide too much shade to the garden. Most veggies need sunlight for at least 8 hours.
|You have a smaller space to deal with and add good soil and foundation for a great garden.
|The existing ground will potentially be full of pesticides or chemical from construction and run off. Your neighbors are close and what they do will impact your space.
LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES FOR AN URBAN PLANNING CONCEPT
I have made some mistakes and you can learn from them. I once fell in love with a cherry tree that I was never told it would grow so fast and big that it was making it to our home foundation.
Do your research and take the time to go over each step to create a plan that works and provides you with mindful urban gardening. It will be so much less work at the end.
The reward is growing some vegetables or flowers you have been dreaming of. Mine was english cucumbers, it is a simple dream, but I absolutely love them so much.
HOW DO YOU MAKE A SMALL URBAN GARDEN?
For urban gardening at home, you make decisions that impact your space and balance what you want and need from the outdoor backyard. You will have challenges with urban gardening, but what you can potentially grow is well worth the effort.
- EVALUATE THE EXISTING CONDITIONS: Always take the time to evaluate the space you have, but do not stop at your fence, look around to your neighbors and what can impact your space; noise, view, weeds?
- GET CREATIVE: Be creative in using garden beds, containers and balancing the look with the production of food or flowers. You are on top of your small space and will be looking at it daily. This is not a farm that you can place what you don’t want to look at far away. Account for the everyday connection you need to the space.
- PLAN AND START THE RIGHT WAY: Don’t do short cuts, bad soil or other things will bring your dream to frustration. Take your time and phase it, so you do it right and slowly. It has taken 6 years to create what we have and I am still working on it. So worth it!
What you plan will provide you ten fold with many amazing vegetables and flowers. Take your time, you have the tools to get you going.
YOUR DREAM IS YOUR OWN FOR THE BEST URBAN GARDENING AT HOME EXPERIENCE
Many times we see beautiful spaces and get inspiration. But being inspired and copying what works for someone else may not be the best strategy.
You have specific needs and your dreams are your own. It is no different for the gardening planning you will go through.
The process is not difficult, it is more about finding your path and what is the daily rhythm you need to feel good and get the most of your daily routines.
Remember to subscribe to my youtube channel for new weekly videos. Let’s chat on the comments, I would love to hear from you to get more ideas on what you want to watch or learn.
You are unique and special.
Your space should be as unique and special as you are!
You Cocoon Awaits You,
IF YOU ENJOYED THE POST, PLEASE PIN BELOW TO SUPPORT THE BLOG
DON’T LEAVE YET!
JOIN ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
YouTube Cocoon Raw
You Tube Cocoon Raw