This easy ground cherry salad recipe is just so delicious! If you grow ground cherries, you are aware how prolific they are. A simple recipe is one I like to have at hand with few ingredients so I can quickly make a side dish to a sandwich, soup or meal, cake, jam, salsa and many more dishes.
I love ground cherries, they are so fun to grow and harvest. Today on instagram, I posted about them and was so surprised that very few people knew about them. I decided I had to share more information and create a very easy recipe that will get you to try to use them and keep expanding this amazing fruit. If you have children, they will be looking forward to harvesting this little fruit. Every morning I look forward to harvesting this fruity tasting delight, for this reason, next season, More plants!
I. WHAT IS A GROUND CHERRY?
Many people are not aware of this little fruit and how delicious and easy to grow it is. Here are some fun facts:
- They are in the genus as tomatillos, that is why they have that husk around the fruit.
- They are small, but pack a punch in flavor.
- Ground Cherries have many different names; (Physalis pruinosa) cape berry, cape gooseberries, ground tomato, Inca berry, poha berry, strawberry tomato and many more. You will find seeds more by looking for ground cherry.
- No it is not a tomato, but it does have that note in flavor of a tomato, just sweeter.
- They grow to 3′ to 4′ tall. But be aware that they grow wide, so provide plenty of space in between plants.
- Pest resistant.
- Disease resistant.
- It is not related to the gooseberry.
- Prolific growth!
- Be aware that it is a nightshade plant, so don’t eat too many at once when you start to try it to make sure you don’t have any bad side effects.
- They freeze very well.
You have two groups, the love and adore ones like me and the, not so much like my husband.
II. WHY GROW IT?
Of all of the plants I grew this year, the ground cherry was the easiest to grow. They make for the best addition to any ground cherry salad. Not only that, but the ground cherry will let you know when it is ready to be harvested. No guessing games on the harvesting time. The fruit will fall to the ground when ripe! Yes, you guessed it, this is why it is called a ground cherry!
III. WHAT IS THE TASTE LIKE?
This is the type of fruit you need to taste to know if you like it. So hard to describe, it is like the cucamelon, you have to go for it and see if it is for you. I wish more people knew about it, because it is such a delicious and fun fruit!. The ground cherry is so good that you need to try it!
- Ground Cherries are sweet with a tropical note.
- Cape Berries are larger, more of a tart and citrus note is present.
- No, it is no a tomato, but it does have a note in the flavor of a tomato.
The best part is that you can use them in sweet or savory dishes, but ground cherry salads such a fresh side dish. Peel and enjoy this delicious fruit! Let’s get going on this easy ground cherry salad!
Have you seen my ‘‘‘Easy – Delicious Red Onion Pickled with Lemon and Dill?
Links in this article are affiliate links and if you click on them, we will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you! Clicking and purchasing help to support this blog and all of the home and garden post we bring to you! Click here for full disclosure
Few Ingredients for achieving an Easy and Delicious Ground Cherry Salad
- Ground Cherries – 170g
- Lemon Zest – 1 Tsp
- Chives – 5g
- Salt – 1/4 Tsp
- Pepper – 1/8 Tsp
- Balsamic Glaze – 1 TBS
- Red Onion – 50g
- Olive Oil – 1/2 TBS
SHOP BELOW FOR WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS DELICIOUS SALAD!
STEPS FOR A GREAT GROUND CHERRY SALAD
- Peel the Ground Cherries. Peel each ground cherry and take the time to remove any that is not any good to use.
- Wash the Ground Cherries. Wash the ground cherries carefully with cold water. Remember, they are being picked up from the soil, wash thoroughly.
- Dry Ground Cherries. Make sure that you thoroughly dry the ground cherries.
- Chop the Chives. Cut the chives very small.
- Zest the Lemon. Zest the Lemon as uniform as possible and after chop small to allow the great lemon oils to infuse the salad.
- Chop the Red Onion. Chop the red onion very small. You will be using it raw, so make sure it is small enough that the flavor of the red onion won’t take over. You want to just contrast the sweet flavor from the ground cherry.
- Mix the ingredients above. Ground Cherries, chives, Lemon zest and chives.
- Sea Salt or Preffered Salt
- Add Balsamic Glaze or Reduction. I buy mine, but you can make a delicious glaze if you like.
- Add Olive Oil
- Mix though and place in a beautiful cup and Enjoy! You can add a lemon wedge on the side so he person can decide if they would like a little touch of acidity.
This recipe is for one serving. Since this is a fruit you harvest, I wanted to allow you to be able to make a smaller quantity.
Learn how to grow save tomato seeds on my blog post, HOW TO SAVE TOMATO SEEDS FOR NEXT YEAR FOR BEGINNERS!
IV. START SEARCHING FOR THOSE SEEDS!
Bring on those seeds!
This is the time to start ordering or swapping seed. Make sure to add this one to your list, you won’t regret it! Trying them at least is a win.
I am so happy that I tried them!
Let me know what you think of the ground cherry if you have tried it?
Join the ‘Cocoons’ to get notifications of future posts. Please leave a comment, I respond to all of them!
Easy Ground Cherry Salad
- Food Scale
- Cutting Board
- 170 g Ground Cherries Weight is with the husk included
- 1 tbsp Lemon Zest
- 5 g Chives
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Glaze
- 50 g Red Onion
- 1/2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- Gather Ground Cherries
- Peel Ground Cherries. Discard the ones that are spoiled
- Wash Ground Cherries thoroughly.
- Dry Ground Cherries thoroughly.
- Chop Red Onion small and uniform and add to the Cherries.
- Chop Chives small and uniform and add to the Cherries.
- Zest a fresh Lemon. Use of fresh lemon, the zest will get bitter as it gets older.
- Chop the zest very small and add to the Cherries.
- Add Sea Salt.
- Add Black Pepper.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add Balsamic Glaze and mix.
- Add Olive Oil and mix.
- Mix it all together and garnish with Chives.
- Add a lemon wedge in case you want a little squeeze for acidity.
- Try to have all the ingredients chopped small, so that one flavor does not overtake the bite.
- Do not substitute Balsamic Glaze with Balsamic Vinegar.
- The reason for making this a single serving recipe is that you may be harvesting the fruit and may not have enough for more that one serving at the moment.
- This will provide a quick and delicious recipe to use your ground cherries that you don’t eat right off the plant.
Your Cocoon Awaits you!
Come visit some other yummy recipes!
JOIN ME ON SOCIAL MEDIA!
You Tube Cocoon Raw